Thursday 13 August 2015

Bean And Gone

OK, so maybe Alan Titchmarsh would not be impressed, but for one who struggles to grow cress on a flannel, it was wonderful to be able to pick three different sorts of leaves for my lunchtime salad and a handful of broad beans to go with our evening meal this week. The raised bed here in Dorset is producing more than just leaves for radish pesto! I just couldn't bring myself to discard the bean pods though. Happy memories of Tom's resourcefulness in the Good Life...

7 bean pods are hardly sufficient to make 2 dozen bottles of bean-pod-burgundy are they?  Instead I sauteed a small onion, and put the pods, the onion, and a peeled, diced potato into a pan with some home-made stock, simmered until soft, then liquidised it. It was quite thick, so I thinned it with a little milk. It  really tasted lovely - but was a rather uninspiring khaki colour, so I did not bother to take a picture.

3 comments:

  1. Soup sounds tasty. I once made a been soup - not a good colour.
    Carolx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peapod 79! I know it well!! I'm envious of your lettuce success. ALL my leaves have been an utter disaster this year! My Cos lettuces were doing SO well and then the aphuds discovered them. Swines. X

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to plant lettuce here! There's nothing like gathering your own salad. Your soup sounds marvelous!

    xofrances

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!