Thursday 8 May 2014

Peel, Petals and Pomanders

When we went away to Cornerstones, I thought I had put all our remaining fresh food into the coolbox to take with us. But I had overlooked a few ‘sweet and juicy easy peelers’ on a plate on the sideboard. I’d bought them to take to school with me, but they were neither sweet, nor easy to peel. On our return, they looked very sad

IMG_1911They were rather dry and shrivelled. I really didn’t want to throw them away. I selected the best looking one, and wrapped it with some ribbon, and then studded it with cloves [these were languishing in my spice drawer, IMG_1922and rather old, so I decided I would rather do this than cook with them] That’s made a traditional ‘Pomander’

I sliced the remaining fruit and left them to dry out in the oven.

IMG_1924

I’d saved the petals from the red roses Bob bought me the other week and put them in a pretty bowl.

So that’s three different natural air fresheners – much nicer than a chemical spray.

8 comments:

  1. That's impressive, very "waste not, want not." I bet they smell great. Vee x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the smell of pomanders, and still have one that my mum made me, it must be 20 years old!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made pomanders one Christmas to keep evil cat off the Christmas Tree. I am tempted to have another go - they were lovely! WS xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used oranges to make our Christmas tree decorations..cheap and natural.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very much nicer than chemical sprays. That potpourri must smell lovely. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorted.
    Love from Mum
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very good! I should do that too!! (P.S. Is that your Mum above me or is that just someone who calls herself Mum as her blog title/profile! It keeps confusing me!)x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No - she's not my Mum - sadly my Mum died in 1991.

      Delete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!