Friday 29 March 2013

Good Friday 2013

three_crosses1

When I survey the wondrous cross
Where the young Prince of glory died,
My richest gain I count but loss,
And pour contempt on all my pride.

Forbid it, Lord, that I should boast,
Save in the death of Christ my God!
All the vain things that charm me most,
I sacrifice them to His blood.

See from His head, His hands, His feet,
Sorrow and love flow mingled down!
Did e’er such love and sorrow meet,
Or thorns compose so rich a crown?

crown-of-thorns

His dying crimson, like a robe,
Spreads o’er His body on the tree;
Then I am dead to all the globe,
And all the globe is dead to me.

Were the whole realm of nature mine,
That were a present far too small;
Love so amazing, so divine,
Demands my soul, my life, my all.

I love this hymn – as far as I know, these are the original words that Watts wrote. The second line, referring to “the young Prince” reminds me that Jesus was only 33 – and I think of the young men I know in their early thirties. How Mary’s heart must have been broken as she watched her young son die such a cruel death.

The fourth verse is frequently omitted from hymn books these days – but again, it challenges me, and reminds me of Jesus’ words

“Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me.”

and the words of Paul

“Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind.”

May Good Friday be a day of blessing for you, wherever you are.

 

13 comments:

  1. Angela, wishing you a blessed Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't seen quite that set of words before, Ang, so thank you for sharing those this morning. They do make me think, too.

    I hope you have a blessed and peaceful Easter weekend xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard the 4th verse, but we always sing 'On which the Prince of Glory died' in the first. It is interesting to see all the variations.

    On another tack, this is a beautiful post for today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Angela, may you and your family have a blessed Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Am currently suffering with viral labyrinthis so am unable to venture to church today but this wonderful post reminds us of what was given on our behalf and what we can give in return.

    Hope you have a wonderful and blessed Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of my favorite hymns-I can remember my father standing so tall before the congregation leading that song! Have a Blessed Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Easter blessings to you and your family!
    Hugs,
    Anne♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. God bless you & yours this Easter.

    Lesley H.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is one of my favourites too, mainly because of the words, (not really the tune- it's ok!) and I was desperate to be able to finish and record mine and put it on my blog for today and I am SUCH an idiot that I left my digital recorder at school (and my camera) and won't be able to get into school for the next two weeks which is awful because it contains also, 400 recordings that I need to file and name in order to do my end of term music assessment! Ahrgh!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. And I didn't know that extra verse, yes, definitely challenging! (Hope you don't mind that I've pinched your picture!)x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that verse too - though it seems to be missing from most American hymnals. I first heard it on a John Rutter CD. In his comments on the text, he deplored the fact that nowadays we tend to avoid the "bloody" aspect of the Cross - which was why he intentionally included this verse.

    A quote from C.S. Lewis has been much on my mind the last few days: "CRUCIFIXION, CROSS ... Centuries of hymnody and religious cant have so exhausted these words that they now very faintly--if at all--convey the idea of execution by torture."

    Shocking words, but a very salutary reminder!

    Was thinking about you today, Angela, and wondering what hymns you had in mind for the day. :) A very blessed Easter to you and Bob.

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!