Thursday 14 February 2013

Valentine’s Day

One of my favourite poems – “To my Dear and Loving Husband”, by Ann Bradstreet

If ever two were one, then surely we.
If ever man were lov'd by wife, then thee;
If ever wife was happy in a man,
Compare with me ye women if you can.
I prize thy love more than whole Mines of Gold,
Or all the riches that the East doth hold.
My love is such that Rivers cannot quench,
Nor ought but love from thee, give recompence.
Thy love is such I can no way repay,
The heavens reward thee manifold I pray.
Then while we live, in love let’s so persevere,
That when we live no more, we may live ever.

We don’t go in for fancy meals, expensive cards, or over-priced bunches of flowers on St Valentine's Day – love is something to practise daily, little acts of thoughtfulness, words of affection – which demonstrate our love, and strengthen our relationship. We love because God first loved us. I hope and pray that we are able to show His love to others too. The full story of the original St Valentine isn’t really clear – but certainly at its heart is the idea of loving self-sacrifice. That is far more important to me than a “"£20 Meal Deal” from Waitrose or M&S.

1corinthians13

[Find out more about Mrs Bradstreet here]

6 comments:

  1. You're right Ang, it is the little things that matter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We do not do big shows of affection, it is all about small tokens everyday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We don't do gifts,meals,cards,or flowers on one day a year. We love one another unconditionally all year.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  4. We make each other silly homemade cards out of construction paper--much treasured! Other than that, we don't do much on Valentine's Day that we don't do any other day, some hugs, some kisses, efforts to be kind ... Works for me.

    Can't believe Bob is giving up coffee for Lent--that's a tough one! If you recall, I gave up coffee last summer when I was having stomach problems, and it was really hard! Hope Bob finds it easier ... and you, too, since it sounds like you now live in a coffee-free house. Oh, blessings on you both!

    xofrances

    ReplyDelete
  5. I woke to a note propped in the bathroom. "Will you be my valentine?" I would--just like I have for 37 (plus 3 dating) years. I surely is the little things that count.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to know the magic is still there even after 40 years!!

      Delete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!