Sunday 4 September 2011

Purpose Driven Prophets

My daily Bible readings this week have been from the book of Jeremiah. Poor chap, he does get a bad press, often defined as a person who is “pessimistic about the present and sees a calamitous future” [a bit like the unfortunate disciple Thomas, being labelled “doubting” when at other times he clearly displays great faith and insight] There are some great  bits in Jeremiah.

An-almond-tree-branchYou just know he's going to say some good stuff when his first chapter mentions almonds.

“What do you see, Jeremiah?”

“I see the branch of an almond tree,” I replied.

The LORD said to me, “You have seen correctly, for I am watching to see that my word is fulfilled.”

And earlier this summer, a good friend sent me this verse from chapter 32, which has been buzzing round my brain ever since, giving me a right sense of purpose. When it came up in our readings this week, I said “That’s MY verse!”

“I will give them singleness of heart and action, so that they will always fear me for their own good and the good of their children after them”

Bob, on the other hand, has been thinking about Daniel, and this morning’s sermon is the first in a series about him. Daniel was a man of purpose too, and his experiences in exile tie in with what Jeremiah says. We’re going to be studying the early chapters this morning. Not the Lion’s Den bit – this bit…

Lego is so cool!

tony ben danielWe are going to be singing one of my favourite old time Sunday School songs this morning too [MP Tony Benn likes it too, and chose it for the title of his autobiography]

tony benn

Did you ever sing this one?

Standing by a purpose true,
Heeding God’s command,
Honour them, the faithful few!
All hail to Daniel’s B A N D!

Dare to be a Daniel,
Dare to stand alone!
Dare to have a purpose firm!
Dare to make it known.

3 comments:

  1. Its easy to sing - but harder to carry out isn't it? Thank goodness we have a heavenly Father who understands us humans so intimately. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lean in- I have to whisper this bit because I'm not actually supposed to be telling anyone about this, BUT we're doing one of those Flash Mob things in church soon, and I am one of the ones who will have to stand up randomly and shout out their favourite verse. I'm using ours! Lego Daniel- wait until the suns see this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How interesting, as this week I've been reading Jeremiah 31, and also thinking about the story in Daniel of the fiery furnace and the three young men who said "If we are thrown into the blazing furnace, the God we serve is able to save us from it, and he will rescue us from your hand, O king.

    18 But even if he does not, we want you to know, O king, that we will not serve your gods or worship the image of gold you have set up." That faith to worship 'even if he does not' is encouraging.

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!