Saturday 13 August 2011

London, Thou Art The Flower Of Cities All!

So said William Dunbar, the mediaeval Scottish poet, and I am inclined to agree with him. I have just indulged myself in a whole day of reading the 830 pages of this book…

london

I read it about 10 years ago, from the library – then the other week, picked it up for £1 at a charity sale.

I loved it – the history, the locations, the characters. Just my sort of book. Edward Rutherfurd has researched his story very thoroughly – it covers the period 54BC to 1997AD. A huge sweep of time, and he cleverly weaves in the stories of a number of families throughout this period.

The book is wonderfully informative, about the development of London, and how different words entered the language, and how lives were affected by faith, fashion and family relationships – as well as by parliaments and plagues, catastrophes and Kings.

There’s a stack of holiday reading still untouched – but I may go for something a little lighter next [Prima magazine?]

6 comments:

  1. You moved a long way through time in just one day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoy Edward Rutherfurd books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's pretty much exactly eight times as much as I've read of Ulysses- all summer!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll look out for that one, 830 pages sounds like a book for winter!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read it as well years ago...I wonder where it is? Apart from the somewhat gruesome start it really was a great book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have Sarum right by the bed and when I have the strength, I read a bit. It's a big fat book!

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!